Saturday 4 October 2014

And then there were 2...

A busy couple of daysasever!r On Tuesday we were over at Hoima referral hospital checking up on the women who had had the c sections the previous day. Whilst I was doing an obs round on the babies I was shocked when I was checking one baby and then the mother pointed at a bundle of linen lying on the bed saying 'can you check the other one too please?' The bundle turned out to be a very wrapped up baby (like most of them here) but it was great to see twins which are rare here! I also found a baby just lying on a bed on its own and it was actually a 6 week old baby but it looked tiny because it was all skin and bone due to extreme malnutrition. Once we had found some formula milk to feed her we discovered her mother was on a nearby bed and was severely septic and has little chance of living :( I asked the mother what the baby's name was and she didn't have one so mum told me to name her, which i kindly refused but gently suggested that my name was Lucy ( it would be cool to have a baby named after me) ;)
Have spent a fair amount of time over the past couple of days sat inside waiting for a torrential downpour to end because the rainy season has now begun and trust me you do not want to be caught out in that rain!
I have now watched an episiostomy (cutting to make the hole bigger) during labour which I did not enjoy as I couldn't really think of anything worse happening to me! I then watched her be stitched up again whilst cuddling her little baby boy :') found a very septic baby on the azur ward too and again had a lovely cuddle whilst waiting for IV antibiotics to be given which, understandably, she hated. I have played a good role as babysitter too when women have been going to the family planning clinic and I was sat at the desk so they entrusted their little babes to me while they had their appointment - I was very tempted to run off with a few :P
Thursday evening was our 'last supper' with the medical teams from wexham park and Basingstoke and it was very sad to see them go so it is just Sofia (a midwife) and I left now!
Yesterday was a whole different kettle of fish when I taught my computer basics lesson to classes of 30ish with only a blackboard and chalk as teaching tools - teaching people how to use a computer who have never used one before, without an actual computer sure is tricky! However, I struggled through and got them to learn the order of the letters on the keyboard off by heart which I didn't even know before hand, but now I do! Had a nice drink in town with heather and Charlie and she gave me a present; a 100ml plastic bag of pineapple gin which costs 12p a bag!!
Today I enjoyed a morning at the school at a confirmation service for 5 of the girls. I got a special mention from the bishop and enjoyed the singing and dancing by the girls. In the (multiple) moments of boredom I was entertained by the headteachers beautiful 4 year old, Peace.
Due to the crazy weather the power has been a bit up and down so have spent a few evenings in the dark - yesterday was very funny when Eve put on her sunglasses that I had given her during the powercut where she could hardly see anything let alone with the sunglasses on!
I am really really missing home food at the moment - everything here is decidedly bland and dry and I would kill for a lamb chop and a blueberry muffin.
Hope all is well back home xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment