Thursday 6 November 2014

English arrivals

So after the drop in numbers of babies delivered at the beginning of the week, a day at Hoima hospital made up for it...delivering 7 babies in one day! They were all bar one normal deliveries. The one that had to be sectioned was pregnant with twins, both in breech position, however, the cord of one of the babies had fallen out so there was a good 4 inches of cord visibly hanging out of the woman. As a result, this baby did not have a pulse but thankfully the other twin did so they took her to theatre and she came away with one of her 2 babies, alive. One delivery resulted in the baby being rushed over to the kangaroo ward for respiratory help. Another delivery lead to major bleeding afterwards and the woman then ran a very high temperature but other than that it was much less traumatic than our previous visit. It was also interesting to see the ward when Charlie wasn't there and hadn't been for a week!
On Friday I visited the school project that olive works at again to give out some clothes (that we had brought out with us) to new, underprivileged mums for their babies. I also helped her with a bit of her work and then she showed me where to get a pedicure. That was an experience in itself, I sat on a bench on the side of the street and had my toenails sorted out and made to look beautiful, all for the cost of £2.50 :)
Had a delightfully relaxed weekend spent sunbathing and shopping and visiting the ever lively children at the mustard seed orphanage! For some reason, on saturday night sofia let me die her (very brave) so we spent halloween dyeing here hair red. I also went to Sunday school where I got a very warm welcome and all the kids sang and danced for me. I even had one young girl fall asleep on me - dead cute.
Sunday was finished off with the arrival of Helen and Duncan from back home who have come to visit me and Hoima. Duncan is the overseer/manager type person for the charity Help Hoima which has helped build the clinic that I'm working in every day, and a few of the schools, along with doing lots of other things. It is through Duncan and Helen, and their daughter Ellie, that I have a link with Hoima as I first came here to visit them in 2008 when they lived here with their family for a year.
They came bearing gifts from my amazing mother who (as ever didn't listen to me saying I didn't need anything), had sent me luxuries like mints, chocolate and freshly, home baked banana and raisin cake. Tasting the cake was heavenly and it made me realise just how much I miss little things like home baking. She also sent lovely letters from some friends and family which, of course, reduced me to tears.
On Monday we went into the clinic and everyone was dressed particularly smartly which I later put down to the fact that the infamous Duncan was visiting so everyone was on best behaviour ;) ended up having to transfer a preeclamptic patient over to Hoima hospital because she was very ill and yet was only 28 weeks pregnant. In UK babies can be kept alive and supported from 24 weeks, sometimes even 20 weeks, but out here anything less than about 32 doesn't really stand a chance because they just don't get the treatment and attention that they need.
Went to the mustard seed again in the evening and the toy cupboard was opened so they all went even more crazy than before (hard to believe it was possible) but it did make it easier to have some one-on-one time and give some attention to one at a time as the others were preoccupied.
Early start in the morning for safari :D
Much love xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment